Apple Video Conferencing iApp Details?
Luke provides details regarding Apple's upcoming Video Conferencing Software. The software is apparently due for release at the upcoming MacWorld Expo New York in July.
Distribution of the as-yet-unnamed Video Conferencing software will be akin to previous iApps, and be a free download, but will require Mac OS X 10.2.
Other requirements include Quicktime 6, iDisk Account, Audio Input as well as a supported WebCam/DVCamera. Initial release will only support 3rd party cameras, but there is always the possibility of an Apple branded solution.
- The version in development uses MPEG4
- The application has the brushed metal finish
- The only limitation on the size of the viewer is your bandwidth. (Full screen possible with high-bandwidth connections)
- Ability to send video e-mails is planned but has not been included in the release available.
- Compatibility with H.323/Netmeeting is being considered but once again has not been included in the release available. Using this format down grades performance of video conferencing and requires additional support for connecting to NetMeeting clients.
- Relies on iDisk usernames and not IP addresses.
- Support for internal networks is planned but once again has not been included in the release available.
- Recording live video/audio feature is being considered.
As with all rumor reports, you need to take it with a grain of salt...