New in OS X: Get MacRumors Push Notifications on your Mac

Resubscribe Now Close

Apple and Samsung Combined for Over One-Third of Smartphone Sales in Second Quarter

The latest numbers from research firm IDC reveal that the premium smartphone market continues to be a largely two-horse race between Samsung and Apple, which accounted for 21.7% and 14.1% market share in the second quarter respectively. The rival tech companies combined for 35.8% quarterly market share, finishing well ahead of emerging Chinese competitors Huawei, Xiaomi and Lenovo during the three-month period ending June 30.

iPhone 6 Galaxy S6 Edge
IDC's Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker shows that smartphone vendors shipped a total of 337.2 million smartphones worldwide in the second quarter, an 11.6% increase from the 302.1 million units shipped in the year-ago quarter. The growth was driven by not only premium devices sold by Apple and Samsung, but also the growing number of affordable handsets available in emerging countries such as China and India.

IDC Apple Samsung Q215
Apple increased 2.4 percentage points to 14.1% during the second quarter compared to its 11.7% market share in the year-ago quarter, while market leader Samsung experienced a year-over-year decline as its market share slipped from 24.8% to 21.7%. Apple closed the gap on the continued strength of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, with the company announcing it sold 47.5 million iPhones in the third quarter of the fiscal year earlier this week.

Apple and Samsung continue to dominate the smartphone operating system race, trailed by Huawei, Xiaomi and Lenovo with 8.9%, 5.3% and 4.8% market share in the second quarter respectively. All other smartphone makers accounted for a combined 45.2% quarterly market share. Overall mobile phone shipments in the second quarter reached 464.6 million units worldwide.

Tags: Samsung, IDC, Apple


Top Rated Comments

(View all)

14 months ago

looks like samsung doing it right...for some odd reason.

Samsung's shipment volume dropped 2.3% year-to-year, while apples went up 34.9%. Looks like Apple is the one doing it right.
Rating: 19 Votes
14 months ago

gotta love the spin. Rather than saying Apple trailed Samsung, the headline talks about their combined sales.


Rather than saying that Apple trounced, I mean absolutely trounced Samsung in the profit department, and saying that Apple beat Samsung handily in revenue, they spin it by counting the number of phones, no matter what the price.
Rating: 10 Votes
14 months ago

gotta love the spin. Rather than saying Apple trailed Samsung, the headline talks about their combined sales.


You know what else is spin? Confusing "shipments" with "sales".
Rating: 7 Votes
14 months ago
Yep. Unless, like many on here, your own self-worth is dependent on what consumer electronics company you use.

we need more players in this game to step up and even out the field.

we all 'win' when we have more competition pushing eachother, not just 2 companies

Rating: 7 Votes
14 months ago
we need more players in this game to step up and even out the field.

we all 'win' when we have more competition pushing eachother, not just 2 companies
Rating: 6 Votes
14 months ago
Sony, Nokia (Newkia)/Microsoft, LG, HTC, just off the top of my head.

I love seeing Samsung drop, I will never forgive them for two years of torture I survived as an owner of Galaxy S III. Go Apple!
Rating: 5 Votes
14 months ago

Amazing how much Samsung's "innovation" depended on a larger screen.

Actually Samsung's innovation largely depends on Apple's innovation. :)
Rating: 4 Votes
14 months ago
gotta love the spin. Rather than saying Apple trailed Samsung, the headline talks about their combined sales.
Rating: 4 Votes
14 months ago

Samsung's shipment volume dropped 2.3% year-to-year, while apples went up 34.9%. Looks like Apple is the one doing it right.


Plus we don't really know how many of Samsung's "shipments" turned into actual sales.
Rating: 4 Votes
14 months ago

What companies are in the "other" category? That's a huge percentage for other. I know LG is probably in there, and Blackberry (lol), but that's a lot of also-rans to make up almost half the market.


Sony, Microsoft, ZTE, Sharp, NEC, Toshiba, Casio, Amazon, Gionee, Oppo, Oneplus, BLU, etc.
You'd be surprised at how many companies are still trying to bet their futures on smartphones.
Rating: 4 Votes

[ Read All Comments ]