Apple Updates Final Cut Pro X with Multicam Support, Advanced Chroma Keying, and XML Support
Apple today released Final Cut Pro X v10.0.3, a significant update to its revolutionary professional video editing application, which introduces multicam editing that automatically syncs up to 64 angles of video and photos; advanced chroma keying for handling complex adjustments right in the app; and enhanced XML for a richer interchange with third party apps and plug-ins that support the fast growing Final Cut Pro X ecosystem. Available today as a free update from the Mac App Store, Final Cut Pro X v10.0.3 also includes a beta of broadcast monitoring that supports Thunderbolt devices as well as PCIe cards.Apple also notes that several third-party developers have also taken steps to expand the capabilities of Final Cut Pro X, including the new release of 7toX [Mac App Store, $9.99] from Assisted Editing to move Final Cut Pro 7 projects to Final Cut Pro X.
Multicam editing in Final Cut Pro X v.10.0.3
Final Cut Pro X [Mac App Store] is available in the Mac App Store and is priced at $299.99. The new 10.0.3 update appears to still be rolling out to the store and may not be available for all users yet.
- Multicam editing with automatic sync and support for mixed formats, mixed frame rates, and up to 64 camera anglesUpdate: Apple has also released Motion 5.0.2 [Mac App Store, $49.99], bringing several enhancements to the effect editor that serves as a companion to Final Cut Pro.
- Advanced chroma keying with controls for color sampling and edge quality
- Media relink for manual reconnect of projects and Events to new media
- Ability to import and edit layered Photoshop graphics
- XML 1.1 with support for primary color grades, effect parameters, and audio keyframes
- Beta version of broadcast monitoring with third-party PCIe and Thunderbolt I/O devices
- Improved speed and responsiveness of text editingUpdate 2: The updated version of Final Cut Pro X [Mac App Store] is now available. Apple has also released Compressor 4.0.2 [Mac App Store, $49.99], an update to the Final Cut Pro tool for project export.
- Ability to automatically add animation keyframes when recording is disabled
- Keyboard shortcut for re-positioning animation curves or paths
- Ability to adjust the pan and scale of an image in a drop zone
- Enhanced look of the Keyframe editor for easier keyframe viewing and editing
- Markers set as chapter markers by default
- Addition of Uncompressed 8-bit and 10-bit 4:2:2 to export settings list
- Improved speed of transcoding from Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2 to ProRes