New Skylake MacBook Pros coming October 27.
New Analyst Mockup and Sales Estimates for Apple's Tablet
Image from Piper Jaffray
Fortune summarizes a new research report from Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster, who estimates that Apple could sell two million of its rumored tablet computer in 2010 at $600 each, adding a small but not inconsequential 3% to Apple's revenue stream for the year. Munster also provides a mockup (above) of what he believes the device will look like.
The device, as he sees it, will
- Be similar to an iPod touch, only larger, capable of running most of the 70,000 applications on the iPhone App Store plus a new category of apps designed for the bigger screen.
- Will be used primarily for Web surfing, e-mail, and digital media, competing with netbooks without being a netbook.
- Will be priced between an iPhone and a MacBook -- between $500 and $700.
- Is likely to include a 3G cellular modem and could be subsidized by a carrier -- either AT&T or Verizon.
- Will sell better than Apple TV did its first year (1.2 million units).
- Could in fact sell 2 million units at $600 each to generate $1.2 billion and add about 3% to Apple's revenue stream in calendar 2010.