Apple has seeded the first beta of an upcoming tvOS 14 software update to its public beta testing group, giving non-developers a chance to try out the new Apple TV software ahead of its official release in the fall.
tvOS 14 brings several new features to Apple TV, including a Picture in Picture mode and 4K YouTube playback. It also introduces multi-user gaming support, new AirPods features, additional Home controls for HomeKit-connected devices, and more.
Before you rush to install the tvOS 14 beta, it's worth remembering that this is pre-release software, so don't expect things to work 100 percent trouble-free. Apple has released relatively stable beta versions of its operating systems this year, but beta software is inherently unstable, as it contains bugs and issues that have yet to be ironed out. Still interested? Then read on.
Is tvOS 14 Compatible With My Apple TV?
tvOS 14 is designed to run on the fourth and fifth-generation Apple TV models (Apple TV HD and Apple TV 4K, respectively). It is not compatible with earlier versions of the Apple TV, because those models do not support tvOS.
How to Enroll in the Apple Beta Software Program
To download and install the tvOS 14 beta, you must enroll in the free Apple Beta Software Program. If you're already enrolled, you can skip these steps and jump to the next section.
- Open Apple's Safari browser on a computer or iOS device and navigate to the Apple Beta Software Program.
- Tap the Sign up button.
- Enter your Apple ID credentials and tap the Sign in button.
- Agree to the Apple Beta Software Program terms and conditions if necessary.
How to Download and Install tvOS 14 on Apple TV
Once you're enrolled in the Apple Beta Software Program, you'll need to carry out the following steps on your Apple TV.
- From your Apple TV, click through to Settings > Accounts.
- Under Apple ID, sign into at least one of the account options (iCloud, iTunes and App Store, or Game Center) with the same Apple ID that you used to register for the Apple Beta Software Program.
- On your Apple TV, click through to Settings > System > Software Updates.
- Click Get Beta Updates to turn it on.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos.
Your Apple TV should automatically download and install the latest public beta software if you have Automatically Update turned on in the Software Updates settings, but you can always manually check for updates by clicking through to Settings > System > Software Updates > Update Software.