Over the weekend we noted that Facebook had added a "hidden" setting in Facebook Messenger that allows you to turn on a long-awaited Dark mode. The new mode was found by several sites and users and remains hidden for now.
How to Turn on Dark Mode in Facebook Messenger
- Send just the 🌙 emoji to anyone (or even yourself).
- Tap on the moon emoji in the chat after you send it.
- A pop up should appear saying you found dark mode.
- Go to settings and you should see it here.
- You may have to force quit the Facebook Messenger app and relaunch it before tapping on the Moon emoji will work.
Facebook acknowledged the Dark mode setting in a blog post.
As many may have discovered, dark mode can be accessed through a hidden, limited-time only experience. Simply send a crescent moon emoji – 🌙 – in any Messenger chat to unlock the setting and prompt to turn on dark mode.
Facebook promises that the feature will be deployed our to everyone in a matter of weeks. The secret method to enable dark mode works in both Android and iOS.
The new mode works particularly well with Facebook's color/gradient option. If you tap on the name of the person you are chatting with, you can choose a custom color for that chat. The gradients work well against the new dark background.