Apple has discontinued its non-Retina legacy MacBook Pro, the last Mac it sold with a built-in CD/DVD drive. The 13-inch notebook had not been updated since June 2012, but it remained available for purchase on Apple's website for $1,099 until today.

mbp-legacy
Apple continues to sell a standalone SuperDrive for $79 that connects with a traditional USB cable. As with the 12-inch MacBook, a dongle would be needed to use the SuperDrive with new MacBook Pros that have switched to USB-C ports.

Related Forum: MacBook Pro

pcmacgamer Avatar
A model from the old days when Apple cared about its pro line.

RIP
Bbqthis Avatar
The draft for this article was written 4 years ago, wasn't it?
geoff5093 Avatar
I really hate how Apple can get away with charging $1,099 for a 4 year old laptop. I know many schools bought these for the optical drive, storage capacity, and ethernet port. It's a shame they were ripping them off for so long.
SBlue1 Avatar
I ordered mine minutes after the keynote 2012 and still rocking with it. Turned into a brand new computer a year ago with a new 500 Gig SSD and 16 Gig or RAM.

Now for the same configuration I would have to pay more than double the price for the new MacBooks! Would have Retina, new processor and touchbar but still not worth the hefty price raise!
BreadofWonder Avatar
The schools don't HAVE to buy them, you know. No one does. Apple kept it around because there was still demand for it. I'm pretty sure most people knew what they were getting (especially if it was an institutional purchase).
PCtoMAC1 Avatar
I LOVE my mid 2012 MacBook Pro. I also upgraded the SSD myself and it's like a brand new machine. I'm sure Apple will force it out of upgrade with a new OS soon.

The prices on the new machines are silly. They LOVE making them so hard to upgrade now too. I'm also in the school of being frustrated with the removal of the headphone jack on the iPhone 7.

Things at Apple are moving in the wrong direction. Ive and Phil need to go. I know people will beat me to death for that comment, though I don't care. I really enjoyed Apple products because they were great, worked well and delivered what customers wanted. Today things are buggy, need 10 different adapters and they are pushing customers to change when it's not needed (don't give me the stupid CD ROM excuse).

My humble opinions.