iOS 8 was released today, which means hundreds of app developers are releasing newly updated apps that take advantage of all the APIs introduced with the operating system upgrade. Those include third-party keyboards, which we covered earlier today, and app extensions, a set of APIs that allows apps to interact in new and innovative ways.
One of the neatest app extension features lets developers create widgets that show up in the Today view of the Notification Center. These widgets let users interact with apps and get information at a glance. Several apps have been updated to take advantage of Notification Center widgets, and we've rounded up a comprehensive list below. Many of these app updates are already available, but some will be coming later today and tomorrow.
Dropbox (Free) [Direct Link] - Dropbox's new Notification Center widget displays all of the files that have been recently uploaded. Tapping on one of the files opens the file in the Dropbox app.
Duolingo (Free) [Direct Link] - Duolingo displays how close a user is to reaching their daily language learning goals. Tapping on the widget in the Notification Center opens the Duolingo app and lets users continue with their current language lesson.
Evernote (Free) [Direct Link] - Evernote's Notification Center widget is especially useful, including five different icons that let users create a document, reminder, or list, as well as snap a photo or access photos stored in the app. Tapping one of the icons opens the Evernote app and begins the task immediately.
Clear ($2.99) [Direct Link] - Clear's Notification Center widget includes a handy list of upcoming reminders. Tapping on one of the reminders will open the Clear app for direct access.
iTranslate (Free) [Direct Link] - iTranslate's Notification Center widget is a nifty tool that will let users one-tap translate whatever happens to be copied to the clipboard to the selected language.
Other apps with Notification Center widgets:
- 24me (Free) [Direct Link] - Adds notes, tasks, and upcoming Calendar events to the Notification Center.
- Agenda+ ($1.99) [Direct Link] - This new task management app includes a list of calendar events and reminders, with options to check off events directly in Notification Center.
- Cheatsheet (Free) [Direct Link] - Quick reference app Cheatsheet lists a user's last 10 notes in the Notification Center. Tapping a note will open the Cheatsheet app.
- Luminos (Free) [Direct Link] - Astronomy app Luminos has two widgets for the Notification Center. One displays the current positions of Jupiter's moons and the other lists daily moon and sun conditions.
- ETA ($0.99) [Direct Link] - Driving assistant app ETA allows users to place three favorite locations in the Notification Center, displaying estimated driving times to each location.
- Raincast ($1.99) [Direct Link] - Weather app Raincast offers a Notification Center widget that displays the upcoming rain and snow forecast. The update isn't available just yet but should be shortly.
- Wattpad (Free) [Direct Link] - This eBook reader app and publishing platform has two new widgets for the Notification Center. The first lets users return to the story they were most recently reading, while the other shows quick updates on published stories.
- Gneo ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Task management app Gneo has a Notification Center widget that lets users mark a task as complete without needing to open the app.
- Kindle ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Kindle has gained a new Notification Center widget that lets users keep track of the books they're reading. The widget stores up to three titles, with a tap opening the selected book.
- HoursTracker (Free) [Direct Link] - Time tracking app HoursTracker has a Notification Center widget that keeps track of the length of a current task without needing to open the app.
- Wdgts (Free) [Direct Link] - Wdgts is an app that offers several different Notification Center widgets including a calendar, currency converter, time zones, and a photo frame.
- Onefootball (Free) [Direct Link] - Onefootball's widget lists the latest soccer news in the Notification Center.
Widgets can be installed in the "Today" view of Notification Center by opening up Notification Center and swiping to the bottom of the menu. Tapping the "edit" button will let users choose which Notification Center app widgets they want to see on their devices. Widgets require iOS 8, which was released to the public today.
Thursday October 29, 2020 6:11 pm PDT by Arnold Kim
Many users running iOS 14 beta are reporting that they are seeing a dialog box pop up repeatedly asking them to update from the latest iOS 14 beta.
Threads in our forums, Reddit, and Twitter are reporting the issue. The dialog has been appearing for a few days now, but as of tonight has started appearing more frequently, every time an iPhone is unlocked. There's been further discussion in...
Apple today seeded "Release Candidate" versions of upcoming iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 updates to developers and public beta testers, 10 days after seeding the fourth betas and a month and a half after releasing the iOS 14 and iPadOS 14 updates.
iOS and iPadOS 14.2 can be downloaded by developers through the Apple Developer Center or over the air after the proper developer profile has been...
Apple One bundles are now available in the United States and over 100 other countries, allowing customers to subscribe to multiple Apple services through a single plan, including Apple Music, Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, iCloud, and more.
To sign up for Apple One on an iPhone:
Open Settings App
Tap on Your Name at the top
Tap on Subscriptions
Tap on Apple One The prompt for Apple One...
We've begun tracking early Black Friday deals in our dedicated Black Friday Roundup, and in an effort to prepare our readers for the big shopping event we're highlighting sales store-by-store in the lead-up to November 27.
Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Best Buy. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running....
Apple today announced the launch of a new service program for AirPods Pro sound issues, which is designed to address AirPods Pro units experiencing static or crackling sounds or problems with Active Noise Cancellation.
Faulty AirPods exhibit the following problems, according to Apple:Crackling or static sounds that increase in loud environments, with exercise or while talking on the phone
During today's earnings call for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2020 (third calendar quarter), Cook said that while he doesn't want to give too much away, "this year has a few more exciting things in store."
Cook is likely speaking about the Apple Silicon Macs, as Apple has previously said the first Apple Silicon Mac will be coming before the end of 2020. There are rumors of a third fall event ...
For those still trying to make a decision between an iPhone 12 or an iPhone 12 Pro, we picked up both models and in our latest YouTube video, did a hands-on comparison between them. Our video highlights the similarities and the differences so you can which one is the best fit for you and whether the iPhone 12 Pro is worth an extra $200.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more ...
Apple in September announced Apple One, a new series of services bundles that will let Apple device customers purchase several services together in one package instead of separately, saving money for those who use multiple Apple service products.
Ahead of Apple's earnings call, Apple CFO Luca Maestri told Bloomberg that Apple One is set to launch on Friday, October 30.
Apple One Bundle...
Apple's new Apple One series of services bundles launches on Friday in over 100 countries and regions, but the top Premier tier will be limited to the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, and Canada.
The limited rollout of the $29.95 Premier tier is down to the fact that Apple News+ is currently only available in the above countries. Apple News+ is exclusive to the Premier tier,...
Apple on Thursday reported its earnings for the fourth quarter of the 2020 fiscal year, including Mac revenue of $9 billion, a new quarterly record. Apple ended the year with annual Mac revenue of $28.6 billion, an all-time high.
In its annual Form 10-K report [PDF], filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission today, Apple said increased Mac sales in fiscal 2020 compared to fiscal ...