iOS 8 was released today, which means hundreds of app developers are releasing newly updated apps that take advantage of all the APIs introduced with the operating system upgrade. Those include third-party keyboards, which we covered earlier today, and app extensions, a set of APIs that allows apps to interact in new and innovative ways.
One of the neatest app extension features lets developers create widgets that show up in the Today view of the Notification Center. These widgets let users interact with apps and get information at a glance. Several apps have been updated to take advantage of Notification Center widgets, and we've rounded up a comprehensive list below. Many of these app updates are already available, but some will be coming later today and tomorrow.
Dropbox (Free) [Direct Link] - Dropbox's new Notification Center widget displays all of the files that have been recently uploaded. Tapping on one of the files opens the file in the Dropbox app.
Duolingo (Free) [Direct Link] - Duolingo displays how close a user is to reaching their daily language learning goals. Tapping on the widget in the Notification Center opens the Duolingo app and lets users continue with their current language lesson.
Evernote (Free) [Direct Link] - Evernote's Notification Center widget is especially useful, including five different icons that let users create a document, reminder, or list, as well as snap a photo or access photos stored in the app. Tapping one of the icons opens the Evernote app and begins the task immediately.
Clear ($2.99) [Direct Link] - Clear's Notification Center widget includes a handy list of upcoming reminders. Tapping on one of the reminders will open the Clear app for direct access.
iTranslate (Free) [Direct Link] - iTranslate's Notification Center widget is a nifty tool that will let users one-tap translate whatever happens to be copied to the clipboard to the selected language.
Other apps with Notification Center widgets:
- 24me (Free) [Direct Link] - Adds notes, tasks, and upcoming Calendar events to the Notification Center.
- Agenda+ ($1.99) [Direct Link] - This new task management app includes a list of calendar events and reminders, with options to check off events directly in Notification Center.
- Cheatsheet (Free) [Direct Link] - Quick reference app Cheatsheet lists a user's last 10 notes in the Notification Center. Tapping a note will open the Cheatsheet app.
- Luminos (Free) [Direct Link] - Astronomy app Luminos has two widgets for the Notification Center. One displays the current positions of Jupiter's moons and the other lists daily moon and sun conditions.
- ETA ($0.99) [Direct Link] - Driving assistant app ETA allows users to place three favorite locations in the Notification Center, displaying estimated driving times to each location.
- Raincast ($1.99) [Direct Link] - Weather app Raincast offers a Notification Center widget that displays the upcoming rain and snow forecast. The update isn't available just yet but should be shortly.
- Wattpad (Free) [Direct Link] - This eBook reader app and publishing platform has two new widgets for the Notification Center. The first lets users return to the story they were most recently reading, while the other shows quick updates on published stories.
- Gneo ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Task management app Gneo has a Notification Center widget that lets users mark a task as complete without needing to open the app.
- Kindle ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Kindle has gained a new Notification Center widget that lets users keep track of the books they're reading. The widget stores up to three titles, with a tap opening the selected book.
- HoursTracker (Free) [Direct Link] - Time tracking app HoursTracker has a Notification Center widget that keeps track of the length of a current task without needing to open the app.
- Wdgts (Free) [Direct Link] - Wdgts is an app that offers several different Notification Center widgets including a calendar, currency converter, time zones, and a photo frame.
- Onefootball (Free) [Direct Link] - Onefootball's widget lists the latest soccer news in the Notification Center.
Widgets can be installed in the "Today" view of Notification Center by opening up Notification Center and swiping to the bottom of the menu. Tapping the "edit" button will let users choose which Notification Center app widgets they want to see on their devices. Widgets require iOS 8, which was released to the public today.
Apple is taking legal action against the developers of the app "Prepear" due to its logo, according to iPhone in Canada.
Prepear is an app that helps users discover recipes, plan meals, make lists, and arrange grocery deliveries. The app is a spinoff of "Super Healthy Kids," and the founders claim that they are facing litigation from Apple. Apple reportedly takes issue with Prepear's logo, ...
In a worst-case scenario, Apple's annual global iPhone shipments could decline by 25–30% if it is forced to remove WeChat from its App Stores around the world, according to a new research note from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo viewed by MacRumors. The removal could occur due to a recent executive order aiming to ban U.S. transactions with WeChat and its parent company Tencent.
Kuo lays out...
China will no longer be the world's manufacturing epicenter going forward, according to Apple's largest supply chain partner Foxconn, which has been gradually expanding its operations in other countries amid the U.S.-China trade war.
"No matter if it's India, Southeast Asia or the Americas, there will be a manufacturing ecosystem in each," said Foxconn chairman Young Liu, according to Bloombe...
Google today announced the launch of several features for Google Maps on Apple products, including new CarPlay functionality and a new Google Maps app that works on Apple Watch.
The new Google Maps app for Apple Watch works similarly to the iOS app, allowing Apple Watch owners to get directions for a car, bike, public transit, or on foot.
The app supports estimated arrival times and...
In a research note shared by Business Insider, Wedbush Securities analysts said that Apple may release a cheaper iPhone 12 in early 2021 with no 5G connectivity.
Wedbush initially believed Apple would launch a mix of 4G and 5G iPhone 12 models this fall. Following re-examination of Asian supply chains, analysts Daniel Ives, Strecker Backe, and Ahmad Khalil revised the predictions,...
Logitech recently debuted the Folio Touch, a keyboard and trackpad case designed for the 11-inch iPad Pro that serves as an alternative to the Magic Keyboard. In our latest YouTube video, we compare the $160 Folio Touch to Apple's $300 Magic Keyboard to see which is better.
Subscribe to the MacRumors YouTube channel for more videos. Logitech is selling the Folio Touch for $160, while Apple's...
Apple's largest manufacturing partner Foxconn has begun its seasonal hiring spree to assist with iPhone 12 production, offering employees who recruit qualified applicants up to a 9,000 yuan bonus, according to Chinese media reports.
As usual, Foxconn needs as many hands on deck as possible at its factory in Zhengzhou, China to assist with mass production of the upcoming iPhones. Apple is...
Apple today seeded the first public beta of an upcoming watchOS 7 update to public beta testers, one week after seeding the fourth beta to developers and a month and a half after the Worldwide Developers Conference. The update can be downloaded after installing the proper profile from Apple's Public Beta website. watchOS 7 should not be installed on a primary device as it is still an early...
This year's Apple Watch Series 6 is expected to feature an OLED screen like previous models, but a future model is likely to be the first Apple product to adopt MicroLED display technology, albeit not for another three to four years.
That's the main takeaway reading between the lines of comments made by the chairman of Epistar, Taiwan's top LED producer, which is reportedly working on a...
Parallels Desktop 16 released today, bringing some notable new features and performance enhancements to the virtualization software, including full support for macOS Big Sur.
When Apple introduced macOS Big Sur, it ended support for the third-party kernel extensions that previous versions of Parallels were built on. That forced the developers to re-engineer the virtualization software from the ...