iOS 8 was released today, which means hundreds of app developers are releasing newly updated apps that take advantage of all the APIs introduced with the operating system upgrade. Those include third-party keyboards, which we covered earlier today, and app extensions, a set of APIs that allows apps to interact in new and innovative ways.
One of the neatest app extension features lets developers create widgets that show up in the Today view of the Notification Center. These widgets let users interact with apps and get information at a glance. Several apps have been updated to take advantage of Notification Center widgets, and we've rounded up a comprehensive list below. Many of these app updates are already available, but some will be coming later today and tomorrow.
Dropbox (Free) [Direct Link] - Dropbox's new Notification Center widget displays all of the files that have been recently uploaded. Tapping on one of the files opens the file in the Dropbox app.
Duolingo (Free) [Direct Link] - Duolingo displays how close a user is to reaching their daily language learning goals. Tapping on the widget in the Notification Center opens the Duolingo app and lets users continue with their current language lesson.
Evernote (Free) [Direct Link] - Evernote's Notification Center widget is especially useful, including five different icons that let users create a document, reminder, or list, as well as snap a photo or access photos stored in the app. Tapping one of the icons opens the Evernote app and begins the task immediately.
Clear ($2.99) [Direct Link] - Clear's Notification Center widget includes a handy list of upcoming reminders. Tapping on one of the reminders will open the Clear app for direct access.
iTranslate (Free) [Direct Link] - iTranslate's Notification Center widget is a nifty tool that will let users one-tap translate whatever happens to be copied to the clipboard to the selected language.
Other apps with Notification Center widgets:
- 24me (Free) [Direct Link] - Adds notes, tasks, and upcoming Calendar events to the Notification Center.
- Agenda+ ($1.99) [Direct Link] - This new task management app includes a list of calendar events and reminders, with options to check off events directly in Notification Center.
- Cheatsheet (Free) [Direct Link] - Quick reference app Cheatsheet lists a user's last 10 notes in the Notification Center. Tapping a note will open the Cheatsheet app.
- Luminos (Free) [Direct Link] - Astronomy app Luminos has two widgets for the Notification Center. One displays the current positions of Jupiter's moons and the other lists daily moon and sun conditions.
- ETA ($0.99) [Direct Link] - Driving assistant app ETA allows users to place three favorite locations in the Notification Center, displaying estimated driving times to each location.
- Raincast ($1.99) [Direct Link] - Weather app Raincast offers a Notification Center widget that displays the upcoming rain and snow forecast. The update isn't available just yet but should be shortly.
- Wattpad (Free) [Direct Link] - This eBook reader app and publishing platform has two new widgets for the Notification Center. The first lets users return to the story they were most recently reading, while the other shows quick updates on published stories.
- Gneo ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Task management app Gneo has a Notification Center widget that lets users mark a task as complete without needing to open the app.
- Kindle ($4.99) [Direct Link] - Kindle has gained a new Notification Center widget that lets users keep track of the books they're reading. The widget stores up to three titles, with a tap opening the selected book.
- HoursTracker (Free) [Direct Link] - Time tracking app HoursTracker has a Notification Center widget that keeps track of the length of a current task without needing to open the app.
- Wdgts (Free) [Direct Link] - Wdgts is an app that offers several different Notification Center widgets including a calendar, currency converter, time zones, and a photo frame.
- Onefootball (Free) [Direct Link] - Onefootball's widget lists the latest soccer news in the Notification Center.
Widgets can be installed in the "Today" view of Notification Center by opening up Notification Center and swiping to the bottom of the menu. Tapping the "edit" button will let users choose which Notification Center app widgets they want to see on their devices. Widgets require iOS 8, which was released to the public today.
Apple today announced that it will be holding a special event on Tuesday, September 14 at 10:00 a.m. The event will take place at the Steve Jobs Theater on the Apple Park campus in Cupertino, California.
As with WWDC and last year's fall events, this new event will be held digitally with no members of the media invited to attend in person. Apple will likely provide pre-taped segments for...
Apple will retain the Lightning connector on the iPhone for the "foreseeable future," with no intention of switching to USB-C, according to reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.
In spite of much of the industry moving toward USB-C, Apple will not be using it to replace the Lightning connector on the iPhone 13, or indeed on any iPhone model for the time being. In a note seen by MacRumors yesterday,...
YouTube is planning to stop supporting its YouTube app on the third-generation Apple TV models, where YouTube has long been available as a channel option.
A 9to5Mac reader received a message about the upcoming app discontinuation, which is set to take place in March.Starting early March, the YouTube app will no longer be available on Apple TV (3rd generation). You can still watch YouTube on...
To commemorate the tenth anniversary of the iPhone, Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller sat down with tech journalist Steven Levy for a wide-ranging interview about the smartphone's past, present, and future.
The report first reflects upon the iPhone's lack of support for third-party apps in its first year. The argument inside Apple was split between whether the iPhone should be a closed...
Apple today seeded the sixth betas of iOS and iPadOS 15 to developers for testing purposes, with the updates coming one week after Apple released the fifth betas.
Registered developers can download the profile for the iOS and iPadOS betas from the Apple Developer Center, and once the profile is installed, beta updates will be available over the air.
iOS 15 is a major update that...
Wednesday September 25, 2019 12:02 pm PDT by Juli Clover
Apple has teamed up with Maroon 5 to add the group's new song "Memories" to the Memories feature in the Photos app, allowing it to be used for photo slide show creations, reports Billboard.
"Memories" will be available as a soundtrack option for a limited time and it is available to iPhone and iPad users running the latest iOS 13 and iPadOS software.
Memories in the Photos app are created ...
Apple may be planning to launch the iPhone 13 on Friday, September 17 and third-generation AirPods on Thursday, September 30, according to an image of an e-commerce app discovered by Chinese language site IT Home.
The screenshot, originally posted by Weibo account @PandaIsBald, suggests all four iPhone 13 models will go on sale on September 17, followed by the AirPods 3 on September 30....
Apple has issued an internal notice about a new Quality Program that addresses anti-reflective coating issues on MacBook and MacBook Pro models with Retina displays, as confirmed by multiple sources. These issues include the anti-reflective coating on displays wearing off or delaminating under certain circumstances.
Apple will replace Retina displays on affected MacBook or MacBook Pro models ...
With the launch of Apple's iPhone 13 lineup believed to be just a few weeks away, we have compiled all of the coherent rumors from our coverage over the past year to build a full picture of the features and upgrades coming to the company's new smartphones.
For clarity, only explicit improvements, upgrades, and new features compared to the iPhone 12 lineup are listed. It is worth noting that...
The iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro arrived in October 2020 in a range of color options, with entirely new hues available on both devices, as well as some popular classics. The 12 and 12 Pro have different color choices, so if you have your heart set on a particular shade, you might not be able to get your preferred model in that color.
iPhone 12 mini and iPhone 12
The iPhone 12 mini and iPhone...