Pebble today announced that its second-generation smart watch, the Pebble Steel, will be available in Best Buy stores beginning on June 15.

First announced in January, the Pebble Steel features a stainless steel body with a leather or steel band, an upgrade from the plastic design of the first-generation Pebble. The Pebble Steel also features smaller side and top bezels than the original, for a slimmer, lighter profile.

pebblesteel

Pebble Steel has been incredibly popular since we launched it at CES in January, with demand far exceeding our expectations. Our premium smartwatch takes everything our users love about the original Pebble--simplicity, ease of use, weeklong battery life, water resistant design, rich notifications, the Pebble appstore, and regular updates--and wraps it up in a sleek new stainless steel and Corning Gorilla Glass body.

When purchased from the Pebble website, the Steel retails for $249, a price that includes both a steel and leather band. The version sold through Best Buy will include just a leather band for a price of $229.

In addition to being available at Best Buy retail stores and the Best Buy website this Sunday, the Pebble Steel will continue to be available through the Pebble website.

APlotdevice Avatar
I'll consider it after seeing what Apple offers.

Has Pebble revealed what their post iWatch plans are? It seems to me that they have minimal chance of being able to continue selling their device (because no one will be interested) once Apple releases a smart watch.
I have a feeling that the iWatch is going to be more like Samsung's offering than Pebble's: With a "vibrant" display that looks good in the store but is non-persistent, eats through battery life, and is washed out by sunlight. In which case Pebble will continue to attract people who want a practical smart watch.
mattopotamus Avatar
I get at least 7 days use, I have a black original kickstarter version and its basically a perfect notification system and the best "smart watch" I have used (and I've used them all)

Likwise. And hue fans should own one b.c you can control your lights :)
westrock2000 Avatar
Ugly.

Well there are limitations to both the form factor and the financial resources they use for R&D. They are also constrained in how they can interact with the device.

No doubt Apple can do better, but for a 3rd party its a pretty solid device and once of the most simplistic looking.

I have the god awful red version from Best Buy, so it's a little embarrassing to wear. But I really love the thing. I can go without a watch, and this adds some core functionality to that.

That is a big price jump though. Nearly $100 on the MSRP from the plastic Pebble.
bearda Avatar
Decent price for a decent watch... But how long will the battery last?

If it's like the original Pebble (I'm pretty sure it's mostly the same guts, just a different casing) around 3-5 days between charges.
0098386 Avatar

This is my hope too. I love how simple the Pebble is and worry that my dream device (a full-colour screen, etc) would simply not work in the real world or require so much power to punch through sunlight that it'll need constant charging. I get a week out of my Pebble and it's a great device.

----------

I don't think I'll get an iWatch either -- I tossed my last watch years ago, and I don't miss it -- but those are pieces of wrist jewelry I wouldn't wear under any circumstances. Apple's will look better at least.

Lol, really? A device that the public hasn't seen yet looks the best you say?

The Pebble is the first watch I've had since I was a kid and it's really useful for notifications and alerts when my iPhone isn't right beside me. I trust Apple's amazing-looking watch will also do that.
zerostar Avatar