Magellan today announced the launch of its GPS car kit for the iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, and second-generation iPod touch. Similar to TomTom's car kits for the iPhone and iPod touch, Magellan's kit offers a built-in GPS receiver, amplified speaker, external power, and hands-free calling compatibility.
Features of the Premium Car Kit include the following:
- Secure vehicle mounting for iPhone or iPod touch
- Accommodates most silicon skins and hard shell cases
- Adjustable mount securely rotates iPhone to either portrait or landscape mode for optimal positioning and widescreen route display
- Recharges battery via the vehicle power outlet
- Amplified speaker with volume control for loud and clear phone calls and directions
- Noise canceling microphone for full duplex speakerphone operation
- Auxiliary audio output (for connection to your car stereo)
- Works with all navigation applications (including the Magellan RoadMate for iPhone application)
- Bluetooth enables hands-free calling
The car kit is compatible with Magellan's own GPS applications, as well as similar applications from other companies. The car kit is available for pre-order now and is priced at $129.99. Orders placed through Magellan's online store are currently scheduled to ship on January 7th, 2010.