netflixNetflix has updated its iOS app to version 4.1, adding several options to encourage continuous content viewing like auto-play for television episodes and post-movie recommendations.

With the new features, after watching an episode of a television show, the next episode will automatically begin to play. Additionally, after a movie ends, Netflix will offer three recommendations for similar movies. The update also includes enhanced second screen options.

- Added post-play feature where, when one episode of a TV show ends, the Netflix app automatically cues and then starts the next episode

- In post-play for movies, the three best movie recommendations are displayed at the end of the movie currently being watched

- Added enhanced second screen options

The universal Netflix app is available for download from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

QCassidy352 Avatar
The PS3 version of Netflix has been doing this for a while now. Glad apple finally caught up.

Apple didn't catch up - It's netflix's app, and they decide when to update it.
rootyb Avatar
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. My iPad Netflix app has automatically queued up and played the next episode of a TV show for as long as I can remember.

Hell, usually, it doesn't even finish the credits before playing the next episode.

Am I losing my mind?
rootyb Avatar
Im serious believe me, if I'm paying for something I want a physical copy, a copy I can play on anything, and without any DRM BS and not forced to do things their way. I don't support streaming because of their enforced control features - Im effectively subsidising the company which I will not do, and will not support any draconian control measures under the guise of "convenience". The same reasons I don't support of use ****ify, Pandora etc.

Yeah! I hate it when the money I pay to a company helps them to provide a service that's if value to me!

Gah! What *******s!
tonyr6 Avatar
I hate the stupid auto play feature. Was ticked of when the PS3 and then the Windows 8 app added it now the iPhone app has it. Thad is one advantage of the Roku that it does not have it.

I rarely watch episodes of the same series after each other. At least give us a option in your account to turn off this annoyance. I like opening sequence and the end credits. Remember when TV networks use to do that.
SeanMcg Avatar
One thing I like about the Netflix app on the :apple:TV is the ability to search on an actor or director, not just the film title. I wish they would bring that to the iOS app.

I hope the :apple:TV app is updated to include the new TV show continuous play feature. Consider it a playlist for TV shows. It is sooooo tiring to have to click the two or three times just to get the next episode to play :D Seriously, though, it can come in handy if you are otherwise occupied.
milo Avatar
IMOHO
For TV they have a very good selection, and for movies if you like the lower budget or B movies they have a good selection of those as well.

Exactly. People got spoiled by the selection of discs by mail, which allowed them to offer any dvd that was commercially available without needing to negotiate contract rights.

For a streaming service, there's a ton of great TV content and an OK movie selection. People complain it's not enough, but I have yet to see anyone suggest an alternative that has unlimited streaming at that price with a better selection (or really, at any price).