Creating an Apple ID is free and easy, and it's the first step to getting an Apple device set up if you're new to the Apple ecosystem. This how to walks through creating an Apple ID on a Mac.
Sign Up Through System Preferences
- Open up System Preferences.
- In the empty profile interface, tap "Sign In."
- Click on the "Create Apple ID..." option at the bottom of the window.
- Follow all of the prompts and fill out the required information to create an account.
Apple ID account sign ups will need to be verified, and Apple will send a verification email. Your Apple ID will be the email that you signed up with, which is worth keeping in mind.
Sign Up Through the Mac App Store
You can also create an Apple ID using the Mac App Store if you prefer.
- Open up the Mac App Store.
- Click on the "Sign In" button at the bottom of the window.
- Choose the "Create Apple ID" option.
- Enter an email address, password, and country, then click to agree to Apple's Terms and Conditions.
Signing Up on the Web
On a Mac, you can also sign up for an Apple ID on the web by following these steps:
- Open a browser.
- Visit the Apple ID account page through this link.
- Scroll down to "Create your Apple ID" and click it.
- Go through the steps and fill out the form.